The Mall: Character Creation
Alternative character creation rules for The Mall, for use in place of Liminal Horror’s Character Generation (LH pg 6-11).
The adventure/module for THE MALL can be found at https://goblinarchives.itch.io/the-mall
Step 1: Adding to the Mall
Each person at the table will propose one shop to be added to the mall (this is not necessarily their PC’s place of work). State its name, description and floor (1-3). Then, it’s time to make your characters!
Step 2: Ability Scores & HP
a. Roll 3d6 for each of your ability scores (any two results may be swapped)
- Strength (STR): Physicality, brawn & toughness.
- Dexterity (DEX): Speed, sneaking & precision.
- Control (CTRL): Willpower, charm & weird
b. Roll 1d6 for Hit Protection (HP)
Step 3: Investigator Details:
Answer the following questions:
Why Are You At The Mall?**
- You work at the mall. *Where do you work? (Shops Table) What job do you do?
- You are a customer. What is your reason for visiting today?
- The mall is where you and your friends hang out. What “scene” is your character a part of?
Below is a non-comprehensive list of shops at the mall.
- Roller Rink (Level 1)
- DMV (Level 1)
- Arcade & Music Venue (Level 1)
- Maintenance (Level 1)
- Shipping & Receiving (Level 1)
- Polly’s Pet Emporium(Level 1)
- Security (Level 2)
- Emmy’s Swords & Stuff (Level 2)
- Business Association (Level 2)
- Stan’s Pretzel Stand (Level 3)
- Mall Management (Level 3)
- Movie Theater (Level 3)
- Joe’s Burger Barn (Level 3 - recently closed)
- Help Desk (Level 3) Shop Generator
- Specialty stores (Spencers gifts, Hot Topic, Claire’s)
- Makeup (Nail Salon, Ulta, Sephora)
- Clothing stores (Forever 21, Journey’s Shoes)
- Books & Music (Barnes & Nobles)
- Big box stores (use to be 3) (JCpenney, Sears, Nordstrom)
- food court shops (Orange Julius, Cinnabon)
How does your character feel about the mall?**
(or about life)? This is used in place of the core Ideology and Beliefs (LH pg. 8) table. Players can also use that table as an additional step.
Some examples are:
- This mall sucks.
- Things are looking up.
- People are starting to notice the effort you are putting in.
- You cannot stop spending all of your money here.
- This town is boring, but at least the mall is cool.
- You’re thankful for the job.
- Your talent is being wasted.
- Is my shift over yet?
- This place is the root of your problems.
- 1You cannot escape this place.
- 1You keep coming back.
- Things can’t get worse.
- There is room for upward mobility here at the mall.
- If you work a little bit harder you can secure that promotion.
- Some of the people you care about most work here.
- The other people at the mall are the worst.
- When you’re here, your family.
- A job’s a job.
- Things are going to turn around soon.
- This place is your prison.
Traits Tables (LH pg. 9) can be used to randomly generate: Physique, Face, Speech and the optional traits - Virtues, Flaws, and Misfortunes.
Step 4: Starting Gear
This replaces Liminal Horror’s Starting Gear Tables (LH pg. 10) .
- Choose 2 items your character would have brought with them to the mall.
- There are lockers in the break room (Level 2) for mall employees.
- If an employee, mark what item(s) are in your locker at the start of play.
- Most people in the mall would not bring weapons larger than a knife (d6) or taser/mace (DEX save or momentarily stunned).
The table below provides examples. More are included in Equipment (LH pg. 12-13).
- Leather Jacket
- Cans of spray paint
- Polaroid camera
- Roller skates
- Six pack
- Nail polish remover
- Paint Pens
- Lock pick set
- Purchase from Emmy’s Swords and Stuff
- Scene appropriate attire
- Pack of cigarettes
- Music player & headphones
- DIY tattoo kit
- Bag of illicit substances
- Mouth spray
- Workout Equipment
- Remote control car
- Key wallet
- jnco jeans
- Walkie talkies
- Tool (s)
- Bundle of nylon rope
- Letter of resignation
- A fifth
- Shirt, tie, and slacks.
- Shoplifted item
- Civilian Clothes
- Lacrosse Stick
Step 4: General Info:
- Age: Choose or roll 1d12+17.
- Look: Choose a style of clothing or look for your character.
- If they are an employee: what is their uniform? Did they bring a change of clothes with them into work?
- Name: What is your character’s name?
Step 5: Entanglements (complete as a party)
a. Connection: Choose/Create a NPC that your character has a connection with. Describe them and their connection to you.
b. Bonds: Describe the bond you have with one other player at the table.
- Ex (friend or lover)
- Work spouse
- Helped out of a bind.
- Lent money
- (Vice) buddy
- Obsessed with
- Annoyed by
- Work proximity associate
- Parental figure
- Wish was friend
c. Rumors: Roll D10 to determine what rumor the PC has heard recently.
- The disappearances in town have something to do with the mall.
- Terry has a bunch of contraband hidden in security.
- If you can get into the vents, you can get anywhere in the mall.
- Billy (Mr. Neil’s assistant) is living off of the loading dock.
- Mr. Neil has been tracking mud all over the mall.
- There are hidden cameras in the mall.
- Maggie carries a gun.
- The Mall Rats sneak into the mall at night.
- Emmy’s weapons are real.
- Joe’s Burger Barn is closed today because Joe’s being investigated.