Use the following template to model NPCs and monsters:
- Title (denotes the type of NPC/monster)
- NPC Name (most things have a name. Some have forgotten theirs and are now solely defined by their title)
- X HP, X Armor, X STR, X DEX, X CTRL,
- Attack (dX, special items, qualities)
- Description (appearance or demeanor)
- Drive, behavior, tactic, or peculiarity
- Special effect or critical damage consequence.
- Ability Scores are 10 unless noted.
- Ability Scores: 3 is deficient, 6 is weak, 10 is average, 14 is noteworthy, and 18 is legendary.
- HP: 3 HP is average , 6 HP sturdy, 1 0+ HP is serious threat
- HP is Hit Protection, not a measure of Hit Points. It’s a measure of skill, luck, drive, resilience.
- Flavor and style = memorable
- Use d6 as the baseline for damage.
- Including ways to deal stress makes the game more Weird (increases chance of Stress Fallout)
- Critical Damage triggers increase threat or strangeness
Creature Cheat Sheet:
- Able to avoid being hit? Give it HP.
- Soak up damage? Give it Armor.
- Physically powerful? Give it a high STR or larger damage dice.
- Quick? Give it high DEX.
- Weird? Give it high CTRL or ability to deal Stress Damage.