Below are a collection of resources I have found that will help when planning sessions. They are a mix of blog posts, other horror games, and should be used to inspire and guide your planning.
- 31 Horror Adventure Hooks by Diogo Nogueira: This is a collection of 31 different horror hooks that could easily become the basis for a phenomonal Liminal Horror session. Use them as the foundation or as inspiration to seed dread and the unknown into play.
- The Trajectory of Fear - or How to Use Horror Tropes Effectively in your game (pdf) by Ash Law. This is a document that looks at how to use four types of fear (unease, dread, terror, horror) in your games.
- 20 Narrative Horror Resources by Eduardo Carabaño. This is an evocative list of images and prompts to use/inspire.
- SCP Foundation This wiki collects and compiles fictional entires on paranatural items. SCP fictionally positions itself as a government organization tasked with containing these items. While it’s premise doesn’t exactly align with Liminal Horror (which has PCs acting much more on their own as the baseline), Facilitators might find it helpful to read SCP entries and imagine how those items would interact with the world if they were out in the wild (and imagine how investigators may encounter and grapple with them).
- itch.io Adventure Collection: I have created a collection on itch.io of different horror adventures/mysteries/modules/scenarios that could be used when planning for your Liminal Horror game. Over time I hope to create conversion guides for these. Thankfully Liminal Horror is so adaptable that you could easily slot these adventures in. Just use the Creating Monsters section to guide your at home conversions.
I have admired Throne of Salt’s writing for quite a while. Here are is a (noncomprehensive) list of blog posts that one could use when planning sessions/mysteries/campaigns.
- 1d20 +1d6 Cults: Because what is a cosmic horror adventure without cults to fight against.
- d50 Esoteric Enterprise Inspiration Seeds: While written for a different game, many of these seeds could be dropped into a game of Liminal Horror. Note: Esoteric Enterprises is one of the games on the Appendix N. Written by Dying Stylishly it is an OSR game of Urban Horror/Fantasy where you play outsiders exploring the dark underworld beneath our own. There are many thematic overlaps and some of the resources in Esoteric Enterprises could be implemented in Liminal Horror.
- 10 Esoteric Enterprises Hideouts: Who doesn’t love a good hideout.
- Ten Magical Items: These could easily be hacked in to relics.
- d20 Anomalous Media
- Organically-Grown Investigations Some great advice on Investigation Games and how to run them.
- Build a Better Cult: It’s all in the title.
Throne of Salt has a Esoteric Enterprise hack/ruleset/reimagining that they have been working on (which can be found here). For it they did a series of posts cataloging a sort of Lighthouse Field Guide of things about the world. If you are running Liminal Horror I highly recommend you take some time to read through them:
- Lighthouse Field Guide First Installment
- Lighthouse Field Guide Second Installment
- Lighthouse Field Guide Third Installment